Today’s interview is with Michael Sharkey, Co-founder & CEO, and Guy Marion, CMO, of Autopilot, a Saas company that provides easy and visual marketing software for automating the customer journey. Michael and Guy join me today to talk about what they are doing, how they are working on creating customer journeys and creating unique marketing experiences that don’t feel like marketing and the impact of this type of approach on customer engagement and customer experience.
This interview follows on from my recent interview – What you do when proactive customer service is in your DNA – Interview with David Politis of BetterCloud – and is number 157 in the series of interviews with authors and business leaders that are doing great things, helping businesses innovate and delivering great service and experience to their customers.
NOTE: The audio from Michael and Guy is a little jumpy in places but it is still ok to listen to. The vagaries of technology and telephone line connections! Apologies.
Highlights of my interview with Michael & Guy:
- Centralise and organise their contacts as most firms tend to have numerous databases and spreadsheets containing different contact lists;
- Think through the customer journey from the customer’s perspective and map out those touchpoints;
- Be data driven and have a way to centralise, sort and analyse the results that you get such that it enables benchmarking, performance and touchpoint/tactic analysis and how things can be changed to improve revenue generation.
- How are customers engaging with your content;
- How are customers behaving in your app or on your website;
- What are their demographics (location, company, industry etc); and
- How have they engaged your company ‘human-wise’ i.e. how have they engaged your sales team, your support teams or your customer success teams?
About Mark & Guy (taken and adapted form their profiles on CrunchBase)Michael Sharkey is the CEO and Co-founder of Autopilot, where he leads a passionate team driven to help marketers harness the power of automation and build better relationships.
Prior to Autopilot, Michael joined his brother Chris to help grow start-up Stayz into a top Australian rental booking site (acquired by FairFax Digital in 2006 and again by HomeAway for $225M in 2013). Following Stayz, Michael went on to co-found Sharkey Media, a digital marketing agency designed to help companies realize revenue through online marketing programs.
Michael holds a Bachelors’ degree from the University of Newcastle in Australia.
Guy Marion is Chief Marketing Officer at Autopilot, where he spearheads Autopilot’s go-to-market strategy and operations.
Guy has spent the past decade at the forefront of the shift towards all things Cloud & SaaS, having helped grow several enterprise companies into successful businesses. Prior to joining Autopilot, Guy served as Senior Director at Zendesk where he helped rapidly grow Zendesk’s core SaaS business. Prior to Zendesk, Guy grew and eventually sold his own company, Codesion, to CollabNet Inc., where he served as VP/GM of Cloud Services.
Guy holds a Bachelor’s degree in Biology from Stanford and Ph.D in Paleoceanography from The University of Queensland.